Sam Milner Bsc (Hons) PGDIP KPA-CTP
I am a qualified Guide Dog Trainer and have also trained veterans and their rescue dogs for Service Dogs UK. This organisation specialises in training rescue dogs to be assistance dogs for those with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Being an assistance dog trainer means I know how to give puppies and dogs the life skills they need as well as the obedience and manners they need to fit in to our human world with our human expectations. I specialise in the use of clicker training and am a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner and Accredited Member of the Animal Behaviour and Training Council. I have taught the Kennel Club's Good Citizen Scheme in the past and am passionate about helping people to get off to the very best start with their new companions.
I have my own dog Mischief who is a black lab we have had from a puppy and I sadly recently lost my rescue dog May, who we had from age 2. Both of them have taught me lots over the past 10 years as they have both had individual training challenges as all dogs do. May came to me with dog- dog reactivity so I know how it feels to be on the other end of the leash with a reactive dog and I enjoy working with these dogs and their owners because I've been there and I know it can get better!
I have also volunteered for Hampshire Search and Rescue Dogs for several years and I am qualified as a K9 First Responder Instructor.
Qualifications & Affiliations:
PGDIP Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Guide Dogs for the Blind - Guide Dog Trainer Qualification
Proud Member of the Pet Professional Guild of the British Isles
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Trainer Professional (Certified Training Partner)
Advanced Diploma in Canine Behaviour and Management (in progress)
Continued Professional Development (over the past 12 months):
- 2 day seminar with Ken Remirez (covering aggression, behavior chains & husbandry Training)
- Empowered Socialization: BAT for Dog Aggression, frustration and fear with Grisha Stewert
- Empowered socialization: BAT 1 day Intensive Growly Dog Seminar with Grisha Stewert
- Clicker Training with Chickens Level 1 with Sparsholt College
- Scent and the Assistance Dog with Robert Hewings
- APBC Annual Conference: Understanding and managing over arousal in dogs
- 2 day Seminar with Ken Remirez (covering concept training, scent training, teaching animals to say no)
- Karen Pryor Academy Puppy Start Right for Instructors
- Canine First Responder Course
- Canine First Responder Instructors Course
Me and Mischief
A happy family, including May (the chocolate one) after managing to make a few doggie pals